Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shallow artificial pool for children to paddle in.
- ‘Eight inflatable plastic wading pools were placed in a field, filled to a depth of 25 cm with pond water, and left uncovered.’
- ‘They then helped sweep the floor, feed the fish, give the dogs treats, and even water the garden with leftover puddles from the backyard wading pool.’
- ‘I know that he's lived with the settling belief that I'm about as deep as a wading pool.’
- ‘When the class was done I went down to the wading pool where the kids end their session.’
- ‘It's about cherishing the memory of wading pools in the backyard.’
- ‘Fill a wading pool with a few inches of cool water to give pets a pleasant place to ‘chill out.’’
- ‘For one garden, she created a stylized, contemporary aqueduct in which water slips over stone ledges into a wading pool.’
- ‘Be especially watchful of young children around lily ponds, wading pools, large puddles, buckets and large containers of any sort.’
- ‘There was also a wading pool to see who could make the biggest splash, and trying to catch a fish in a net proved to be challenging.’
- ‘She collapsed into bed and then the kids demanded that their new wading pool be blown up for them.’
- ‘The Point State Park master plan includes a restored fountain with a wading pool for children.’
- ‘The kids paddled in the wading pool and drove plastic cars around the yard.’
- ‘In the Duck Pond game, twelve, large plastic ducks float around in the baby wading pool.’
- ‘The only other thing you'll need is a wading pool or a sprinkler for little ones who want to cool down.’
- ‘The wading pool has been shut but the swimming complex remains open.’
- ‘What the hotel billed as an outdoor pool was nothing more than a small wading pool, so we did not spend too much time there.’
- ‘He walked into the pool area, it was very elegant, there was a large hot tub, an elegant wading pool and an athletic pool for swimming laps.’
- ‘One of our favorite spots is Lodi Lake, which has a well-run public beach, lifeguards, and a wading pool for kids.’
- ‘The police accused Wilson of deliberately leaving her baby in the wading pool.’
- ‘Get rid of standing water in bird baths, ponds, flowerpots, wading pools, old tires, and other places where mosquitoes might breed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.