One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A wading bird of the order "Ciconiiformes", which comprises the herons, storks, and ibises.
- 1.1British A wading bird of the order "Charadriiformes", which comprises the sandpipers, plovers, and related birds.
2wadersHigh waterproof boots, or a waterproof garment for the legs and body, used especially by anglers when fishing.
- ‘Without doubt, these breathable waders are excellent and the best.’
- ‘He had a spear, and was demonstrating tribal techniques for catching fish, joking with Jim, who was wearing waders and using a traditional fishing pole.’
- ‘If the weather turns rough, your guide can no doubt fit you up with waterproof clothing and waders.’
- ‘I had some chest waders on, but I decided to stay on the bank until I saw some movement.’
- ‘Why all neoprene chest high waders don't have a fly zip I will never understand.’
- ‘Chest waders are good but make sure they've got a boot comfortable enough to allow for hours of walking.’
- ‘I rudely pushed past an old man in hip waders to reach the gravel road first.’
- ‘I would also advise you take a good waterproof coat and some thigh waders.’
- ‘I breakfasted, put on my waders, grabbed a couple of rods and commenced to walk the marshy mile or two to the Khuder.’
- ‘Driveways, gardens and entrances were under water and many villagers could not leave their properties without wellies or waders.’
- ‘My waders, which had been perfectly alright the previous week now sprung a leak.’
- ‘There is no doubt that to fish in Ireland, thigh waders are a must.’
- ‘It is vital to keep warm when standing waist deep in chilly water for the day, and waders could be considered the most important item in an angler's wardrobe.’
- ‘The next morning I put on my waders, walked into the water on the Cathedral Stretch, and began to cast.’
- ‘We also packed our own hip waders for the somewhat less raging portions of the river.’
- ‘More so than any lure or rod and reel, or even watertight waders, the greatest ally of any angler hoping to catch a huge trout is patience.’
- ‘The water becomes so deep at the bottom of Castlegate it is out of bounds to pedestrians without waders or wellingtons.’
- ‘La Crosse also has a line of hip boots and waders in various styles for the hunter in extremely wet conditions.’
- ‘As I climbed into my chest high waders we chatted about the fishing prospects.’
- ‘When moving around a stream or river in waders, the angler should carry as little equipment as possible and slide feet forward, not step, to avoid losing balance.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.