One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A wading bird of the order Ciconiiformes, which comprises the herons, storks, and ibises.
- 1.1British A wading bird of the order Charadriiformes, which comprises the sandpipers, plovers, and related birds.
2wadersHigh waterproof boots, or a waterproof garment for the legs and body, used especially by anglers when fishing.
- ‘I would also advise you take a good waterproof coat and some thigh waders.’
- ‘When moving around a stream or river in waders, the angler should carry as little equipment as possible and slide feet forward, not step, to avoid losing balance.’
- ‘There is no doubt that to fish in Ireland, thigh waders are a must.’
- ‘Why all neoprene chest high waders don't have a fly zip I will never understand.’
- ‘More so than any lure or rod and reel, or even watertight waders, the greatest ally of any angler hoping to catch a huge trout is patience.’
- ‘He had a spear, and was demonstrating tribal techniques for catching fish, joking with Jim, who was wearing waders and using a traditional fishing pole.’
- ‘La Crosse also has a line of hip boots and waders in various styles for the hunter in extremely wet conditions.’
- ‘The water becomes so deep at the bottom of Castlegate it is out of bounds to pedestrians without waders or wellingtons.’
- ‘I rudely pushed past an old man in hip waders to reach the gravel road first.’
- ‘I had some chest waders on, but I decided to stay on the bank until I saw some movement.’
- ‘It is vital to keep warm when standing waist deep in chilly water for the day, and waders could be considered the most important item in an angler's wardrobe.’
- ‘We also packed our own hip waders for the somewhat less raging portions of the river.’
- ‘If the weather turns rough, your guide can no doubt fit you up with waterproof clothing and waders.’
- ‘The next morning I put on my waders, walked into the water on the Cathedral Stretch, and began to cast.’
- ‘My waders, which had been perfectly alright the previous week now sprung a leak.’
- ‘Without doubt, these breathable waders are excellent and the best.’
- ‘Chest waders are good but make sure they've got a boot comfortable enough to allow for hours of walking.’
- ‘Driveways, gardens and entrances were under water and many villagers could not leave their properties without wellies or waders.’
- ‘As I climbed into my chest high waders we chatted about the fishing prospects.’
- ‘I breakfasted, put on my waders, grabbed a couple of rods and commenced to walk the marshy mile or two to the Khuder.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.