One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a vehicle or its engine) make a roaring sound when traveling or running at high speed.
speed, zoom, whizz, flashView synonyms
- ‘Darnell vroomed away in his car and I watched him before turning and heading for school.’
- ‘Local Administration Minister, M.C. Sampath, waved the flag as Justina on her two-wheeler, vroomed away amidst cheers from her schoolmates and teachers.’
- ‘He rhapsodized about the pleasures of vrooming through a wintry Yellowstone astride a snowmobile.’
- ‘Then he donned a new uniform of padlocked leather, and vroomed off on a new motorcycle.’
- ‘I heard their car vroom to life and knew that they'd be behind me in a matter of seconds.’
- ‘Then she grabbed onto the waist of a guy she had just met, folded herself next to him and vroomed away on the back of his Suzuki.’
- ‘You see some vrooming and screeching around the town.’
- 1.1with object Cause (an engine in a vehicle) to make a roaring sound.
hurry, go fast, go quickly, make haste, hurtle, dash, dart, race, rush, fly, flash, shoot, streak, bolt, bound, blast, charge, chase, career, hurry up, speed up, scurry, scramble, scamper, scuttle, sprint, run, gallop, go like lightning, go hell for leatherView synonyms
- ‘Two men in safari suits would vroom their jeep onto the savannah or the prairie.’
- ‘I vroomed my engine one final time and powered away.’
- ‘Once on the street, Tim put the car into first, and deliberately vroomed the engine as he took off, feeling the slight push back into his seat.’
The roaring sound of an engine or motor vehicle.
- ‘At the end of the driveway, Roxanne is making vroom, vroom sounds, wringing her hands like she's doing wheelies.’
- ‘A sudden loud vroom of an engine disrupted her thoughts.’
- ‘Neil, my former team leader, has taken to bumping blindly around the building in a virtual reality helmet, humming Born To Be Wild and making vroom noises.’
- ‘At least, I thought I had escaped when I heard the vroom vroom sound of a motorcycle behind me.’
- ‘Raen opened the door open and sat next to Adam in the front of his Jaguar and slammed the door shut, Adam pressing on the pedal making a loud vroom sound.’
- ‘She accelerated with the vroom of the motor, taking off for home.’
- ‘On the track, though, there's no racing, just the deafening vroom of the Ferraris as they dart past in a blur once every 1 min 22 secs or so, testing the effectiveness of one tweak after another.’
- ‘The car made a loud vroom sound and I jumped back when he tore out of the driveway.’
- ‘Grandson grabs grandpa's ears and, making vroom, vroom and squealing tyre noises ‘drives’ him while hanging onto his ears.’
- ‘With a sigh, she reversed off the driveway, changed gears and with a soft vroom noise, she left.’
- ‘I didn't hear the vroom of Vince's mustang and leaned against a telephone pole, tears streaming down my cheeks.’
- ‘She sat in a little car and turned the wheel and made vroom noises.’
- ‘Estate agents, once more, have a spring in their steps, an extra vroom as they rev up their BMWs.’
- ‘A minute later I was settled in, starting the car with a vroom.’
Used to express or imitate the sound of an engine, or to suggest speed or acceleration.‘press the ignition button and vroom!’
- ‘Vroom, vroom - new York City owner John Batchelor's driving ambition is set to leave its mark on the Minstermen and their fans.’
- ‘Vroom, vroom Motorsport fans in India are roused to a frenzy every time F1 speed demons whiz around on TV screens.’
- ‘Vroom, vroom, I'm intrigued - what if this is another really neat improvement on digital life from good ol' Google?’
- ‘‘Vroom, vroom,’ muttered Kevin as he magically made himself move through the air smoothly.’
- ‘In search of hot items in which to motor around this summer, the Echo asked salespeople at three local dealerships which models made them go vroom, vroom - and the answers weren't hard to come by.’
- ‘And I guess we actually have to teach him that you push the car and you can make the sound, ‘vroom, vroom,’ and you push it along a little play-road… whereas he might just pick up the cars and hit them together.’
- ‘Gentleman, start your mopeds… Manx TT is set for UK release on March 20th, and it's rumoured to be very good indeed, vroom.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.