Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of two American space probes launched in 1977 to investigate the outer planets. Voyager 1 encountered Jupiter and Saturn, while Voyager 2 reached Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and finally Neptune (1989)
- ‘When I was a student at Parsons in the late 70's this map kept me company every day as I became an eager voyager through the city's tunnels.’
- ‘Visitors can learn about the volcanic birth of the Hawaiian Islands and the adventures of the early Polynesian voyagers, European explorers and whalers.’
- ‘After some delays and disputes, the voyagers regrouped at Plymouth aboard the 180-ton Mayflower.’
- ‘Madeira lies right in the track of the trade winds, and down the centuries the island has played host to voyagers passing between the Old and New Worlds.’
- ‘The adventurer and businessman was one of 705 people who survived the disaster in 1912, after the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank, killing 1,500 voyagers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.