Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially in music journalism) vocals; voice.‘the barely-there falsetto vox’
- ‘There's only so much that can be done with basic guitar strumming and male/female vox.’
- ‘Band mainstay Dominic O'Neill (vox, guitar, piano) and most recent recruit Katie Richardson (vox) tell us the story so far.’
- ‘Those vox that open it: I don't know how they achieved it.’
- ‘I really like the processing on the vox in the very beginning, too.’
- ‘There's less vox here than on Folk Music, but that leaves plenty of room for Fisk and company to whittle about.’
- ‘The lead vox - is there a distortion filter on them?’
- ‘Everyone in this band could play brilliantly well and their timing was impeccable, but the whole plot is lost in the tunes and terrible vox.’
- ‘Track two ` Be Content ' has more crazy noises and enticing vox, overall a really upbeat feel-good without ever been remotely cheesey sound.’
- ‘Imagine the moody dronings of God Speed You Black Emperor, or Spaceman 3 and then add beautifully moody and sullen vox courtesy of Aurelio Valle.’
- ‘I could put TONS of reverb on my vox.’
- ‘So - droll sung/spoken vox, chirruping synth loop, mind-numbing repetition - it carbon copies " Once in a Lifetime ".’
- ‘I like the delays on the vox, too, but they're not terribly obvious.’
- ‘When nobby joined on vox we had to break his spirit so we did a couple of gigs under the name of The UK Spuds.’
- ‘The pop-rock trio from Donegal features Rory Gallagher (bass/vox), John McIntyre (guitar / vox), and Micky D (drums).’
- ‘The three - piece features Casey Laforet on guitar and vox, Mark Sasso on banjo with a voice like Shannon Hoon and Stephen Pitkin playing suitcases and percussion.’
- ‘Faithfull is entitled to such a vox, one of pure European decadence.’
- ‘Spencer's vox are still sick and dirty.’
- ‘It starts out good, with this cool 80's type synth going on, and cool subdued vox - I actually thought it was Fischerspooner at first.’
- ‘Regardless of the obnoxious vox, The Rapture rocked OK.’
- ‘After a week spent yelling my rock vox, my speaking voice was faint and used up.’
1980s: shortened from vocals, probably after Latin vox voice.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.