Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
foul, nasty, unpleasant, bad, disagreeable, horrid, horrible, dreadful, abominable, atrocious, offensive, obnoxious, odious, unsavoury, repulsive, off-putting, repellent, revolting, repugnant, disgusting, distasteful, loathsome, hateful, nauseating, sickeningView synonyms
- ‘She handles the final monologue tastefully, without slipping into vomitous, melodramatic overkill.’
- ‘Two vomitous byblows of the original series have left me feeling nothing of the enthusiasm that should now possess me.’
- ‘I mean, that all was vomitous too, but oh my stars, the camerawork.’
- ‘If I may be permitted a digression into vomitous travelogue clichés, my experiences this summer will forever change the way I think about culture.’
- ‘But, it was drinking on an empty stomach that made me sick, headachey, vomitous and immobile.’
- ‘But at least I smell of last night's beer and cigarettes; you seem to have rolled in your own vomitous excrement.’
- ‘I grovelled at the altar of the tasteless, hoovering up every nugget of vomitous drivel they chucked my way.’
- ‘So who'd turn out that early in the morning to watch grown men make vomitous pigs of themselves?’
- ‘I was so vomitous after my discovery that I couldn't even eat cookies.’
- ‘I just don't like looking like a precious, vomitous mess.’
- ‘If a formula is successful, it will spawn myriad vomitous offspring, which will be rammed down our throats until we are no longer able to appreciate the original.’
- ‘Amid a stark set - think vomitous green and anemic bleached wood - they attacked their roles and produced far more drama around a medical diagnosis than one would think possible.’
- ‘You're having to answer for the vomitous lies you've been spewing for the last 10 years.’
- ‘And there were a lot of dubious converted-barn enterprises offering a thousand vomitous flavours of yoghurt and cheese rolled in tea leaves and steeped in Baileys.’
- ‘Now I'm sipping peppermint tea and munching on crackers to stave off the vomitous feelings and room swirliness.’
- ‘We're awash in a vomitous sea of caustic humorous comment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.