Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Denoting the entrance or exit passages in a theater or amphitheater.
- ‘The vomitories may have simple ‘bracelet’ vertical gangways or be joined by horizontal gangways as well.’
- ‘‘No, no! ‘she shouted involuntarily, rising from her seat, but the spectators were already stampeding to the vomitories, flooding the imperial box, overwhelming the guards.’’
- ‘Can't you hear the announcer… ‘Let's greet the visitors, coming through their vomitory, with an appropriate sound…’’
- ‘Additional seats mean additional revenue event after event, and the company can help you add seating even in the vomitories.’
- ‘On the upper concourse the entrance tunnels to the seating, known as vomitories, used a mix of precast and in situ walls.’
- ‘By Opening Day 2008, the stadium will feature new bullpens that will be perpendicular to the field, expanded dugout and crown seating and expanded vomitories - the tunnel-like passages between the seats and the outside walls - in the stadium.’
- ‘Terraces with more than 23 rows, and most second tier terraces, will usually have vomitories.’
- ‘The area inside Gate D has long been one of the most crowded areas on the concourses in part because all fans had to enter through the lower vomitories at the field level.’
- ‘Similarly, the terrace units, vomitories and step units are delivered to site for immediate positioning onto prepared bearings, either precast raker beams or steelwork.’
2rare Relating to or inducing vomiting.
- another term for vomitorium
Early 17th century: from Latin vomitorius, based on vomere to vomit partly as an Anglicization of Latin vomitorium (see vomitorium).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.