One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use or involvement of volunteer labor, especially in community services.
- ‘Service organizations and civic volunteerism still have largely white membership.’
- ‘Student volunteerism and service learning are important examples of the community service function.’
- ‘The Navy takes great pride in its volunteerism and community service - so much so, there is a medal for outstanding volunteer service.’
- ‘She had little involvement with activities such as volunteerism and healthcare.’
- ‘Our challenge as educators is to link classroom study of real world problems with community involvement that reaches beyond volunteerism to civic engagement.’
- ‘In Malaysia, the programme will fund a project which aims to use IT and youth volunteerism to improve agricultural capabilities of farmers in rural areas.’
- ‘Teenagers have amazingly high levels of volunteerism and community service, yet many feel turned off by politics.’
- ‘On a smaller scale, there is a movement within the hip-hop community towards public service and volunteerism.’
- ‘It was disappointing to read recent articles which highlighted the decline of volunteerism in community activities.’
- ‘However, the goal is not only to raise money, but also to raise awareness of the current situation in Cambodia and to encourage more volunteerism in the overall community.’
- ‘By contrast, from 1987 to 1997, when job prospects for youth in Canada were at a low, there was an increase in volunteerism among young people.’
- ‘The organization has become well known and takes pride in its community service projects and volunteerism as well as its support for its fellow stay-at-home moms.’
- ‘Business volunteerism enables you to provide a greater benefit to the community at a lower cost than through financial philanthropy alone.’
- ‘Tackling the ongoing promotion and development of volunteerism is a big issue, requiring structures to be put in place to attract more people to get involved in clubs.’
- ‘These cemetery tours, by raising public awareness, actually have helped to decrease vandalism and increase volunteerism.’
- ‘Most have a rich history of women's involvement through patronage, management and volunteerism.’
- ‘No significant differences were found in terms of race, parental residence, extracurricular activities, and parental volunteerism.’
- ‘Greece, by contrast, had no civic tradition of volunteerism and many had feared the worse.’
- ‘The crux of the problem lies in the tension between volunteerism and professionalism on one hand, and the way the sector relates to its supporters i.e. donors, on the other.’
- ‘Most surveys show that the post-baby boom generations do not have the same belief in service and volunteerism earlier groups did.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.