One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use or involvement of volunteer labor, especially in community services.
- ‘The Navy takes great pride in its volunteerism and community service - so much so, there is a medal for outstanding volunteer service.’
- ‘However, the goal is not only to raise money, but also to raise awareness of the current situation in Cambodia and to encourage more volunteerism in the overall community.’
- ‘These cemetery tours, by raising public awareness, actually have helped to decrease vandalism and increase volunteerism.’
- ‘Student volunteerism and service learning are important examples of the community service function.’
- ‘Teenagers have amazingly high levels of volunteerism and community service, yet many feel turned off by politics.’
- ‘Greece, by contrast, had no civic tradition of volunteerism and many had feared the worse.’
- ‘The organization has become well known and takes pride in its community service projects and volunteerism as well as its support for its fellow stay-at-home moms.’
- ‘In Malaysia, the programme will fund a project which aims to use IT and youth volunteerism to improve agricultural capabilities of farmers in rural areas.’
- ‘Our challenge as educators is to link classroom study of real world problems with community involvement that reaches beyond volunteerism to civic engagement.’
- ‘On a smaller scale, there is a movement within the hip-hop community towards public service and volunteerism.’
- ‘Most have a rich history of women's involvement through patronage, management and volunteerism.’
- ‘The crux of the problem lies in the tension between volunteerism and professionalism on one hand, and the way the sector relates to its supporters i.e. donors, on the other.’
- ‘Tackling the ongoing promotion and development of volunteerism is a big issue, requiring structures to be put in place to attract more people to get involved in clubs.’
- ‘By contrast, from 1987 to 1997, when job prospects for youth in Canada were at a low, there was an increase in volunteerism among young people.’
- ‘Service organizations and civic volunteerism still have largely white membership.’
- ‘Business volunteerism enables you to provide a greater benefit to the community at a lower cost than through financial philanthropy alone.’
- ‘Most surveys show that the post-baby boom generations do not have the same belief in service and volunteerism earlier groups did.’
- ‘No significant differences were found in terms of race, parental residence, extracurricular activities, and parental volunteerism.’
- ‘It was disappointing to read recent articles which highlighted the decline of volunteerism in community activities.’
- ‘She had little involvement with activities such as volunteerism and healthcare.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.