Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A game for two teams, usually of six players, in which a large ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent's side of the court.
- ‘The Zambia team will compete in several events among them volleyball, netball, table tennis and swimming.’
- ‘She is a fine athlete and has played volleyball and basketball for her school.’
- ‘As they ate, he noticed two teams of refugees playing volleyball in the street.’
- ‘For most people, beaches are gregarious places for fun and games, cricket and football, volleyball and kites.’
- ‘These include track events for athletes and team events in netball, soccer and volleyball.’
- ‘These kinds of injuries are common in basketball, football, volleyball, and soccer.’
- ‘She used to play volleyball for her school team but quit due to the risk of injury.’
- ‘The games facilities will cater for sports such as table tennis, volleyball, pool and badminton.’
- ‘On the flip side, there was some good volleyball played during the tournament.’
- ‘In addition, Sydney fielded teams in soccer, volleyball, basketball and rugby.’
- ‘Basketball, handball, and volleyball are modern sports that are beginning to catch on.’
- ‘Apart from athletics, she also competes in a wide range of events such as gymnastics, volleyball and basketball.’
- ‘If you're sociable, try a team sport such as volleyball, or find a workout partner.’
- ‘She played volleyball and basketball, was on a swim team and was an outstanding soccer player.’
- ‘Basketball and volleyball are also popular sports but nothing comes close to football.’
- ‘Among the clubs that have received funding are alpine sports, rugby league, volleyball, cricket and golf.’
- ‘Athletes will compete in track and field, volleyball, football, netball and basketball.’
- ‘The most popular spectator and participant sports are soccer and volleyball.’
- ‘Football was number one but he had also done athletics, basketball, volleyball and cricket.’
- ‘They gather at the gym for basketball and volleyball, and at the local rink for hockey.’
- 1.1The inflated ball used in volleyball.
- ‘He finds a volleyball in a parcel and names it Wilson, talking to it as if it were human.’
- ‘I cracked an eye open and stared at a guy holding a volleyball and, apparently, staring back at me.’
- ‘Sputtering, I discovered the volleyball floating next to me as whoops of triumph entered my ears.’
- ‘Elena picked up a volleyball that sat on the floor nearby and began throwing it up into the air and catching it.’
- ‘The two friends were hitting the volleyball back and forth over the net, and talking at the same time.’
- ‘Ryan grabbed a volleyball from the cart and we began serving to specific spots on the court.’
- ‘Don't come at me with a volleyball because all I have to do is STAND THERE and my team will win.’
- ‘However, I did dive for a volleyball a week or two ago in gym class and landed myself another trip to the ER.’
- ‘I grasp my aching head and turn around to see them laughing hysterically as the volleyball bounces away.’
- ‘I had more emotional attachment to the volleyball than any other character in the movie.’
- ‘I bite the dust when it comes to anything else - and he picked up the volleyball to hand it to me.’
- ‘Whether or not you can spike a mean volleyball, there is a lot to be said for being tall.’
- ‘I took the volleyball from him, raised it above my head and spiked it over the net.’
- ‘I called out a greeting but was distracted by the volleyball again before I got to say anything else.’
- ‘You would be gratified to learn that it hurts like hell and is the size of a volleyball.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.