Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting a clastic rock which contains volcanic material.
- ‘Late Devonian to Carboniferous rocks consist of interbedded mudrocks, sandstones and volcaniclastic strata, whereas the Permian rocks are crystalline limestone with subordinate clastic and volcaniclastic sediments.’
- ‘The sediments are partly clastic and partly volcaniclastic because volcanism is active along such margins.’
- ‘Ladinian strata of the Balaton Highland (west-central Hungary) comprise interbedded marine carbonate and volcaniclastic rocks.’
- ‘Tuff dykes of unusual size invade coarser-grained volcaniclastic rocks of the Jurassic Mawson Formation at Coombs Hills and Allan Hills, Antarctica.’
- ‘Well-rounded clasts include lava, volcaniclastic sandstones and bioclastic limestones with nummulites, bryozoa, microbial carbonate and bivalve material.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.