One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or produced by a volcano or volcanoes.
tense, charged, highly charged, overwroughtView synonyms
- ‘In addition to scoria and ash, other volcanic ejecta include blocks, bombs, and xenoliths.’
- ‘More than 80 Vesuvius eruptions were listed in a recent worldwide directory of volcanic activity.’
- ‘A volcanic cone is composed of material ejected from the volcano.’
- ‘According to geologists, mountains are formed because of volcanic activity or the movement of the plates of the earth.’
- ‘Even scarier and more destructive than volcanic mudflows are pyroclastic flows or glowing avalanches.’
- ‘However, many of these basins experienced intense volcanic activity which may have caused local folding.’
- ‘Timau was an obvious choice in that the area has a temperate climate and fertile volcanic soils.’
- ‘This confirms that the tension fractures were formed during the volcanic activity.’
- ‘This caused thermal uplift of Scotland and the East Shetland platform and volcanic activity.’
- ‘The seabed is a combination of volcanic ash, black sand and mud, strewn with the detritus of a million passing boats.’
- ‘The trees thrive in tropical conditions near the sea, and seem to prefer volcanic soils, as in the Moluccas and Grenada.’
- ‘They suggest that the volcanic constructions on rifted margin segments develop through five main phases.’
- ‘At the base of the food chain are bacteria that dwell in the searing fluids belching from the volcanic vents.’
- ‘Old lava flows and beds of volcanic ash underlie the surface of much of this part of Colorado.’
- ‘These became later covered in ash and dust from volcanic eruptions in the region.’
- ‘We estimate the magma production, erosion and marine depositional rates of volcanic products.’
- ‘Volcanologists now monitor the frequency of volcanic activity in an effort to predict eruptions.’
- ‘At least three phases of volcanic activity are present within the Erenlerdag Volcanic Complex.’
- ‘However, this folding mechanism is thought to be related to the nearest volcanic activity.’
- ‘Such communities use the volcanic emissions as their sole source of energy.’
- 1.1 (of a feeling or emotion) bursting out or liable to burst out violently.‘the kind of volcanic passion she'd felt last night’
unpredictable, changeable, variable, inconstant, inconsistent, uncertain, erratic, irregular, unstable, turbulent, unsteady, unsettled, unreliable, undependable, changing, ever-changing, varying, shifting, fluctuating, fluid, mutable, protean, fitful, wavering, full of ups and downsView synonyms
- ‘As he gazes past you into the middle-distance, you sense that he could erupt in a volcanic temper.’
- ‘Football's corporate wing is doing its best to raise the level of excitement about the competition to volcanic levels.’
Late 18th century: from French volcanique, from volcan (see volcano).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.