Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘This means inflammation of the part of the windpipe above the voice box.’
- ‘This is the inflammation and narrowing of the voice box, the main air tube to the lungs, and the larger branching air tubes (the bronchi).’
- ‘For most men, the vocal folds in the larynx, or voice box, vibrate 100 times per second as air passes from the windpipe into the mouth and through the lips.’
- ‘The male voice box also shrunk, resembling the female version.’
- ‘People can get cancer of the mouth, of the bladder, the pancreas and the voice box.’
- ‘In 1999, he overcame throat cancer, but in removing the tumor he lost his larynx and now speaks through a mechanical voice box.’
- ‘Giving up smoking will not only prevent several heart diseases but also protect the person from lung cancer, chronic bronchitis and cancer of the voice box, bladder and cervix.’
- ‘The surgeons were able to manipulate different elements in the voice box with a high degree of dexterity that would be tremendously difficult using conventional instruments.’
- ‘The specimen had an intact hyoid bone, located at the back of the tongue, which is where the voice box hangs.’
- ‘Regarding throat cancers: the most common site should be the voice box, also termed the larynx.’
- ‘Asbestos is linked to lung cancer, mesothelioma, cancer of the voice box, mouth, kidney, and digestive tract cancers.’
- ‘A continuous hoarseness of the voice may indicate that the cancer is pressing on the nerves to the voice box.’
- ‘The voice box or larynx is a unique organ responsible for producing sounds.’
- ‘Vocal sounds are made by forcing air through a voice box in the throat.’
- ‘All of this breathing couldn't happen without help from the respiratory system, which includes the nose, throat, voice box, windpipe, and lungs.’
- ‘As adults, we retain only a few vestiges of cartilage - in the nose, the ear, the voice box, the disks between the vertebrae, and at the ends of free-moving bones.’
- ‘Oral cancers occur in the mouth and the back of the throat, the tonsil, tongue, lip and voice box.’
- ‘This is a very unpleasant disease because it usually involves mutilating surgery to remove it, sometimes with loss of the voice box.’
- ‘This features progressive paralysis of the tongue, throat and voice box so that swallowing and speaking become difficult or impossible.’
- ‘A hoarse voice is the first complaint of a person with a problem in the voice box.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.