One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of narration in a movie or broadcast, not accompanied by an image of the speaker.
reading, commentaryView synonyms
- ‘His was also the last voice that millions of people would have heard in the event of a nuclear attack because he did the voice-over for a film to be broadcast after the three minute warning.’
- ‘Making up for the minor problem with the music is the voice-over work, which is phenomenal.’
- ‘There is no dialogue, only voice-overs by all the characters.’
- ‘There are several sequences in the film that abandon voice-overs and linger on the natural beauty of the landscape.’
- ‘On the actual broadcast, voice-overs and promos pretty much ruined the piece.’
- ‘The voice-over commentary covers his thoughts, a technique that can be dangerously indulgent.’
- ‘Some of the extracts we saw were enhanced by live actors doing voice-overs, others had piano or dubbed on music.’
- ‘The film has a voice-over narrator who carefully explains the film's meaning, thus sparing us the trouble of employing a single brain cell.’
- ‘Songs just seem to get started, and then the music fades to be replaced by a voice-over from one of the interviewees.’
- ‘The film's strength is in its intricate intertwining of story and image, of dialogue, voice-over and music.’
- ‘The story, narrated by a voice-over, involves a husband and wife, who, after the first flowering of love's uncertain bloom, decide they are worth more to each other dead than alive.’
- ‘The voice-over narration and flashbacks provide an autobiographical as well as retrospective cast to the film.’
- ‘His dry voice-over narration also adds considerably to the film, helping us to accept this flimsy story.’
- ‘There is no voice-over narration, dialogue being restricted to whatever the various people have to say in the course of their activities.’
- ‘There is no dialogue, but a pompous voice-over narration explains everything that is going on, just in case we are too dim to figure it out.’
- ‘The intrigue is accompanied by a voice-over commentary, just in case you don't understand, and haphazard flashbacks to remind you of her traumatic childhood.’
- ‘You can see trends in the voice-overs, musical accompaniment, and editing style.’
- ‘A voice-over narrator ‘explains’ things, whereas we want to see and experience them.’
- ‘I wrote all of the voice-overs for the documentary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.