One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in many male frogs) a loose fold of skin on each side of the mouth, which can be inflated to produce sound.
- ‘There are dads who incubate their babies in their mouths, their vocal sacs, and in pouches.’
- ‘Calling site was noted by counting males in calling posture (or with an inflated vocal sac) near each pool.’
- ‘In Rhinoderma darwinii, males retain the tadpoles in their vocal sacs until the young metamorphose.’
- ‘Sex was determined from the presence or absence of vocal sacs and thumb pads.’
- ‘This frog thumps its gular pouch against the soft soil where it lies and rapidly inflates its vocal sac.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.