Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Volatile organic compound.
- ‘For paints to achieve Green Seal certification, the VOC content in a liter of the product, minus the water, cannot exceed 50 grams in flat paints and 150 in nonflat paints.’
- ‘Less clear was the effect of volatile organic compounds (VOC) on performance.’
- ‘Increasingly stringent VOC regulations have led to the development of water-based and high solids alternatives to solvent-based coatings.’
- ‘High VOC concentrations can be harmful to some individuals with allergies, nervous disorders and even cancer.’
- ‘The one other type of resin that is becoming increasingly popular is emulsion VOC resin.’
- ‘"I frequently see recycled, energy efficient and low VOC products communicated as green," he says.’
- ‘The widespread use of water-borne, high solids, solvent-free, radiation-cured products and coating powders in many paint processes has played a key role in the continuing reduction of VOC emissions.’
- ‘With the tapes, there are fewer problems with VOC compliance and flammability issues.’
- ‘Reducing the VOC content can alter a paint's chemistry, making it harder to apply.’
- ‘Most adhesives, for instance, emit either no or very low levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC).’
- ‘Over the years, manufacturers have reduced VOC emissions from paints and coatings.’
- ‘It mandates that no products containing formaldehyde or VOC adhesives can be used.’
- ‘The coating industry has responded by developing a range of technologies that will help attain new VOC emission targets.’
- ‘Some regions have VOC standards that require water-based products.’
- ‘For example, a low VOC paint used for office partitions may not be suitable for high traffic areas such as workshops or kitchens.’
- ‘They calculated the VOC emissions for each tree and each plot and used their findings to map VOC levels nationally.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.