One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Perform vivisection on (an animal) (used only by people who are opposed to the practice)
anatomize, cut up, cut open, lay open, dismemberView synonyms
- ‘A further note on Victor's improbable career: when he is not creating life in the lab, or necromancing with mummy DNA, he apparently vivisects chimpanzees.’
- ‘I've heard from another source about the vivisected dog story.’
- ‘It may be ethically objectionable to vivisect animals, or pursue profits at the expense of nature and community, but it is usually legal.’
- ‘Have we the right to make experiments on animals and vivisect them?’
- ‘We teach them how to take living things and vivisect them.’
Mid 19th century: back-formation from vivisection.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.