Perform vivisection on (an animal) (used only by people who are opposed to the practice)
anatomize, cut up, cut open, lay open, dismemberView synonyms
- ‘Have we the right to make experiments on animals and vivisect them?’
- ‘A further note on Victor's improbable career: when he is not creating life in the lab, or necromancing with mummy DNA, he apparently vivisects chimpanzees.’
- ‘I've heard from another source about the vivisected dog story.’
- ‘It may be ethically objectionable to vivisect animals, or pursue profits at the expense of nature and community, but it is usually legal.’
- ‘We teach them how to take living things and vivisect them.’
Mid 19th century: back-formation from vivisection.