A transparent membrane surrounding and secreted by the fertilized ovum, preventing the entry of further spermatozoa.
- ‘Each embryo is surrounded, from exterior to interior, by the chorion, the vitelline membrane and the embryonic membrane.’
- ‘Mechanical devitellinization was performed by exerting gentle pressure on the coverslip to burst the vitelline membrane.’
- ‘Transcript destabilization fails in mutants with a defective vitelline membrane.’
- ‘The cortical granule contents contribute to the vitelline membrane to form the fertilization membrane, and also provide a hyaline layer between it and the egg's plasma membrane.’
- ‘The vitelline membrane was removed with forceps from the oocytes immediately before the experiments.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.