Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The chief protein constituent of egg yolk.
- ‘The monoclonal antibodies used came from the yolk proteins vitellin and vitellogenin of the spined soldier bug, Podisus maculiventris, and the minute pirate bug, Orius insidiosus.’
- ‘One of the major changes that occurs during the maturation of oocytes is the accumulation of yolk protein, or vitellin.’
- ‘Therefore, if vitellin and CMP synthesis are under similar hormonal control, CMP expression may serve as a biomarker of endocrine disruption.’
- ‘The biochemical, structural and amino acid sequence similarities between CMP and barnacle vitellin suggest that the former may be analogous to insect larval storage proteins (LSPs); the hexamerins.’
- ‘The increase in the number descriptions of vitellogenin and vitellin has increased the ability to comprehend the differences that exist in decapod crustaceans.’
Mid 19th century: from vitellus + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.