One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of vitamins found in liver and fish oils, essential for the absorption of calcium and the prevention of rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults. They include calciferol (vitamin D₂) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D₃).
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.’
- ‘While oily fish is a good source of vitamin D, most of our needs for this nutrient are met by exposing our skin to sunlight.’
- ‘Rickets is a bone-softening disease caused by a lack of vitamin D or calcium.’
- ‘The findings are the first to demonstrate a link between vitamin D and prevention of prostate cancer.’
- ‘In four of the five trials, participants taking vitamin D also took calcium.’
- ‘Foods high in vitamin D include fortified dairy products, eggs and fortified cereal.’
- ‘Recent laboratory experiments suggest that vitamin D can also prevent the growth and spread of cancerous tumours.’
- ‘It's important for people with limited sun exposure to include good sources of vitamin D in their diets.’
- ‘The role of vitamin D in calcium absorption and metabolism for bone health is well known.’
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D, for instance, have been found to be a sound way to guard against osteoporosis.’
- ‘They are also a rare source of vitamin D, vital for the absorption of bone-building calcium.’
- ‘Now it seems that commonly prescribed vitamin D and calcium supplements to reduce the risk of osteoporosis may have no effect.’
- ‘Sunscreen prevented sunlight from generating vitamin D in the skin, risking serious deficiencies in the long run.’
- ‘Most fortified soy milks have about as much calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D as cow's milk.’
- ‘Rickets and the resulting bowlegs are almost always corrected by adding vitamin D and calcium to the diet.’
- ‘Various independent studies have suggested that vitamin D can treat or prevent cancer.’
- ‘This is because the amount of vitamin D contained in human milk is not sufficient to prevent rickets.’
- ‘Common sources of vitamin D in foods include fortified cereals, margarine and oily fish.’
- ‘Good sources of vitamin D are fish liver oil, egg yolk, milk and sunshine.’
- ‘Ultraviolet light increases the production of vitamin D - a nutrient that is known to offer protection against cancer.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.