Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of vitamins found in liver and fish oils, essential for the absorption of calcium and the prevention of rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults. They include calciferol (vitamin D₂) and cholecalciferol (vitamin D₃)
- ‘Most fortified soy milks have about as much calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D as cow's milk.’
- ‘Sunscreen prevented sunlight from generating vitamin D in the skin, risking serious deficiencies in the long run.’
- ‘Rickets and the resulting bowlegs are almost always corrected by adding vitamin D and calcium to the diet.’
- ‘They are also a rare source of vitamin D, vital for the absorption of bone-building calcium.’
- ‘Various independent studies have suggested that vitamin D can treat or prevent cancer.’
- ‘This is because the amount of vitamin D contained in human milk is not sufficient to prevent rickets.’
- ‘Now it seems that commonly prescribed vitamin D and calcium supplements to reduce the risk of osteoporosis may have no effect.’
- ‘The findings are the first to demonstrate a link between vitamin D and prevention of prostate cancer.’
- ‘Recent laboratory experiments suggest that vitamin D can also prevent the growth and spread of cancerous tumours.’
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.’
- ‘Good sources of vitamin D are fish liver oil, egg yolk, milk and sunshine.’
- ‘It's important for people with limited sun exposure to include good sources of vitamin D in their diets.’
- ‘Calcium and vitamin D, for instance, have been found to be a sound way to guard against osteoporosis.’
- ‘Common sources of vitamin D in foods include fortified cereals, margarine and oily fish.’
- ‘The role of vitamin D in calcium absorption and metabolism for bone health is well known.’
- ‘Rickets is a bone-softening disease caused by a lack of vitamin D or calcium.’
- ‘In four of the five trials, participants taking vitamin D also took calcium.’
- ‘While oily fish is a good source of vitamin D, most of our needs for this nutrient are met by exposing our skin to sunlight.’
- ‘Ultraviolet light increases the production of vitamin D - a nutrient that is known to offer protection against cancer.’
- ‘Foods high in vitamin D include fortified dairy products, eggs and fortified cereal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.