Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for rhodopsin
- ‘It is the reddish purple color of retinal that gives rhodopsin its former name visual purple.’
- ‘And for vision it is also necessary that there should be visual purple behind the retina and an opaque cornea and iris.’
- ‘In 1877, Boll and Kuhne independently published their classical studies on visual purple, the photoreceptor pigment of rods, and established that it was involved in the detection of light.’
- ‘The photoreceptor of rod cells is specifically called rhodopsin or visual purple.’
- ‘Night vision is impaired when there is a lack of re synthesis of retinal necessary for forming visual purple.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.