One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sharpness of vision, measured by the ability to discern letters or numbers at a given distance according to a fixed standard.
- ‘In most eyes with early disease, visual acuity remains stable for many years, and loss of vision is usually gradual.’
- ‘Instead, we often rely on our heightened sense of visual acuity to discern the angle of the hands upon the clock face.’
- ‘It is conjectured that their visual acuity and ability to see colors is comparable to a human's.’
- ‘Definitions of blindness are not the same around the world and the vast majority depend on measured visual acuity with no allowance for any functional deficits.’
- ‘I used eye area as another measure of body size and as an indication of visual acuity.’
- ‘His general practitioner found his visual acuity to be ‘nil useful vision’ in the right eye and 6/18 in the left eye.’
- ‘Thus, patients with extramacular detachment require more urgent management, even though they may present with excellent central visual acuity.’
- ‘Your visual acuity is expressed in a fraction - such as 20/20 vision.’
- ‘All participants had normal or corrected-to-normal visual acuity and normal colour vision.’
- ‘All participants in the trial were invited to complete a brief assessment followed by a detailed health assessment by a trained nurse that included measurement of visual acuity.’
- ‘The macula serves to facilitate central vision and allows for high-resolution visual acuity.’
- ‘Dr. Birch noted that the current study was a follow-up to an earlier study of the children's visual acuity.’
- ‘Patients with EMB toxicity had significantly greater worst visual acuity and worst color vision discrimination than both comparison groups.’
- ‘The most common symptom of macular degeneration is decreased visual acuity, that is, decreased ability to see fine detail.’
- ‘Editor Wong's article on the effectiveness of cataract surgery in elderly people contains an emphasis on chronological age and final visual acuity as a measure of success.’
- ‘The doctor is assisted by paramedical staff to check visual acuity, power and colour vision to enable a faster screening process.’
- ‘No telescope is required to see this, just good visual acuity and patience.’
- ‘Cataracts cause a decrease in visual acuity, blurred vision, glare, and a decrease in green-blue color vision.’
- ‘All observers had at least a corrected visual acuity of 20/30 and normal color vision.’
- ‘Any patient who notes changes in visual acuity or peripheral vision should be referred for ophthalmologic evaluation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.