One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A professor on a short-term contract to teach at a college or university other than the one that mainly employs them.
- ‘Sherry F. Colb is a visiting professor at University of Pennsylvania and a professor at Rutgers Law School.’
- ‘He was Professor of Economics at the London School of Economics and visiting professor at Stanford University in America.’
- ‘Max Atkinson, a visiting professor at Henley Management College, Oxfordshire, has a rather different slant on useless meetings.’
- ‘He taught as visiting professor of economics at the Francisco Marroquin University in Guatemala City in 1996.’
- ‘Prof Cook, who lives in St Albans, Hertfordshire, is a visiting professor at University College London.’
- ‘Not long after the book's publication, Gadamer came to be a visiting professor at Syracuse University where I was teaching.’
- ‘A short time ago we got in touch with Nasser Hadian, a professor at Tehran University who is currently a visiting professor at Columbia University.’
- ‘He held appointments in four Harvard University departments, and had spent time as a visiting professor at the University of California, Berkeley.’
- ‘During the academic year of 1947-48, he was a visiting professor at Yale University.’
- ‘As a visiting professor at the University of Mississippi he taught six more years.’
- ‘In 1936, he was a visiting professor at Columbia University, where he taught a course on thermodynamics.’
- ‘I'm going to be a visiting professor at the University of Michigan Law School for the 2005-2006 academic year.’
- ‘He is a university professor at Brandeis and a visiting professor at the University of California at Berkeley.’
- ‘Not too long ago I was asked to be a visiting professor to teach a course on young adult literature to students who were getting a Masters Degree in Teaching.’
- ‘Later, as a law student at the same school, he remembered the visiting professors from Yale University, brought in to teach constitutional law.’
- ‘She retired in 1972, but remained active, serving as a visiting professor at several universities.’
- ‘A lawsuit he launched against the university has just been settled, and he will become a visiting professor at the university's faculty of medicine for the next three years.’
- ‘From where I sit, as a visiting professor in a German university, I can now see why European lawyers think our tort system is out of control.’
- ‘He is a professor of European political economy at the London School of Economics and a visiting professor at Harvard University.’
- ‘She has lectured in India, New Zealand and Spain and extensively in North America, where she was a visiting professor at Drew University in 2003.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.