One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for visitorial
- ‘But, if so, ‘tis a strong reason against granting the rule, for then the Crown may enforce its demands in a visitatorial way.’
- ‘Washington, May 6. - The Senate and House of Representatives, either jointly or independently, will receive visitatorial powers over National banks of the country if the Pujo bill, which was favorably reported to the House to-day, is passed by Congress and signed by President Taft.’
- ‘Originally a visitatorial commission supervising clerical discipline, it became a full-blown court for various lay offences, often political.’
- ‘Here, then, plainly and incontrovertibly, if we acceded to the request for coöperation with the Commission as now constituted, was our whole system of doctrinal teaching to be made the subject of visitatorial examination by Protestant Commissioners, some of whom were laymen, some clergymen; and from their impressions would be derived their report.’
- ‘No national bank shall be subject to any visitatorial powers other than such as are authorized by law, or vested in the courts of justice or such as shall be or shall have been exercised or directed by Congress, or by either House thereof or by any committee of Congress or of either House duly authorized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.