One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An attempt to achieve a vision of a future guardian spirit, traditionally undertaken at puberty by boys of the Plains Indian peoples, typically through fasting or self-torture.
- ‘Typically, I think one would go out into the wilderness, probably fasting, possibly entheogen-ified, on a vision quest for a number of days.’
- ‘Wouldn't Odin's hanging from the World Tree for nine days and nine nights until he found the runes be a description of a shamanic initiation or a vision quest?’
- ‘It is revealed in the novel that Sam Hunter undertook a vision quest as a teenager in which he met Coyote - who took on the form of a vacuum-cleaner salesman - ‘selling dreams’.’
- ‘There will be great speculation in the days ahead about why Doc is going on sabbatical, on safari, on a pilgrimage, on special assignment, on vacation, on a journey to the mountaintop, a walkabout, a vision quest.’
- ‘His guide on the vision quest was spiritual teacher John Milton, who is convinced that ‘political, legal and economic approaches don't go deep enough.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.