Memory that appears to exist as main storage although most of it is supported by data held in secondary storage, transfer between the two being made automatically as required.
- ‘I haven't run out of memory in more than a decade, ever since virtual memory appeared in Windows 386.’
- ‘Memory management expects its virtual memory to be consistent in size and persistent in availability.’
- ‘My laptop was connected to the infopackets server at the time that it happened and I was able to see that server's virtual memory (swap file) was almost completely depleted.’
- ‘Block-level storage virtualization distributes blocks of data to virtual storage pools across multiple storage devices, which helps to manage space and control devices at the hardware level.’
- ‘By introducing integers into memory lookups, more precision is gained, enabling more flexibility in storing graphics data in places such as virtual memory or main system memory.’