The development of male physical characteristics (such as muscle bulk, body hair, and deep voice) in a female or precociously in a boy, typically as a result of excess androgen production.
- ‘Administration of glucocorticoids inhibits excessive production of androgens, prevents progressive virilization, and stabilizes renin levels.’
- ‘Clinical clues to possible hyperandrogenism in women include dysmenorrhea, virilization, and severe acne.’
- ‘Patients are often concerned about the physical manifestations of this disorder, including virilization and acanthosis nigricans, and may be less aware of systemic problems.’
- ‘Adverse effects such as virilization are few and can be minimized with reduction of the dosage.’
- ‘When women take exogenous androgens, the same irreversible virilization occurs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.