Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The development of male physical characteristics (such as muscle bulk, body hair, and deep voice) in a female or precociously in a boy, typically as a result of excess androgen production.
- ‘Administration of glucocorticoids inhibits excessive production of androgens, prevents progressive virilization, and stabilizes renin levels.’
- ‘Clinical clues to possible hyperandrogenism in women include dysmenorrhea, virilization, and severe acne.’
- ‘Patients are often concerned about the physical manifestations of this disorder, including virilization and acanthosis nigricans, and may be less aware of systemic problems.’
- ‘Adverse effects such as virilization are few and can be minimized with reduction of the dosage.’
- ‘When women take exogenous androgens, the same irreversible virilization occurs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.