One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a man) the quality of having strength, energy, and a strong sex drive; manliness.‘aggression and virility were highly prized in soldiers’
manliness, masculinity, maleness, manfulness, manhood, machismo, gallantry, chivalry, valour, valiance, fearlessness, bravery, intrepidity, stout-heartedness, lionheartedness, boldness, daring, heroism, mettle, spiritView synonyms
- ‘She confused and seduced his senses, inspiring his limbs to greater virility and more masculine proportions.’
- ‘His fame has been based on a physical voice and sexual virility, both affected by age.’
- ‘Throughout history, and across every culture and civilisation, male virility and fertility have always been venerated.’
- ‘The physical and mental health of the king was monitored carefully as his strength and virility indicated the strength and power of the whole kingdom.’
- ‘These writers were suspicious of the enervating effects of modernity, and contrasted Australian virility with the dulled manhood of Europe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.