One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Greenish or becoming green.
green, leafy, grassy, grass-coveredView synonyms
- ‘Evoking images of viridescent dragon scales, the pointed, blue-green leaves create a compact, deer-proof assemblage that's infused with reddish purple tinges.’
- ‘Its body is albino and it has an intricate viridescent camouflage.’
- ‘Forging a symbiosis with the force that rules their world, some are viridescent, mimicking the foliage that surrounds them.’
- ‘Meanwhile, beyond the village peripheries, the Welsh hills were getting greener and greener - that iridescent, viridescent green that looks so wonderful on sunny days.’
- ‘New shoots of young grass come up green - a vivid viridescent I have seen nowhere in America or Europe.’
Mid 19th century: from late Latin viridescent- ‘becoming green’, from the verb viridescere, from Latin viridis ‘green’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.