One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lively American country dance performed by a number of couples facing each other in parallel lines.
- ‘In Nevada, she learned to ride with cowboys and sometimes rode 12 miles to dance Virginia reels.’
- ‘We consider that the man who can fiddle all through one of those Virginia reels without losing his grip, may be depended upon in any kind of emergency.’
- ‘According to his diary, the hearth was christened with a fire, supper was served on a workbench lit by candles, and the few merry guests danced the Virginia reel.’
- ‘Enjoy ‘old timey’ and bluegrass banjo, Carter Family-style harmonies, fiddling, clog dancing, western style squares and Virginia reels, and Harlem's savory Lindy Hop.’
- ‘They do the Virginia reel and Scarlett's striking black dress and Rhett's black dandy suit cut a figure against the rest of the colorful ball gowns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.