Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- see opossum
- ‘And not all immune animals are runts - the Virginia opossum is shielded from 37 species of pit vipers, including all major North American rattlers.’
- ‘Potential predators of parrot nests include snakes (Boa constrictor and Drymarchon corals], rats (Oryzomys couesi and Xenomys nelsoni), Virginia opossum, and white-nosed coati.’
- ‘The world's 270 marsupials mostly live in Australia, neighboring islands, and South America, with the exception of North America's Virginia opossum, a relatively recent immigrant.’
- ‘I'm talking opossum here - Virginia opossum, to be precise, and Didelphis virginiana, to be specific.’
- ‘Behavioral studies on the Virginia opossum indicated evidence for color vision.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.