One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A smoke-cured ham from a hog fed on peanuts and corn.
- ‘‘Harry, just do me one favor, okay? ‘she smiled, and then with an amused tone in her voice said, ‘Fly by Smithfield and pick up a Virginia ham.’’
- ‘Frankenbrow looks at Kendall as if she were yesterday's Virginia ham.’
- ‘One day, I'll spring for a spiral cut or Virginia ham and she can feast on it.’
- ‘Yunnan ham, the finest of Chinese hams, is made by a supposedly secret process, but is similar to a Virginia ham in its relative leanness.’
- ‘That was just one course of the party fare that included Virginia ham, cheese biscuits, seafood gumbo, salmon, a wealth of side dishes and an array of sophisticated Mexican food.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.