One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American vine of the grape family, chiefly cultivated for its red autumn foliage.
- ‘The Professor, with shotgun to shoulder, fired into a Virginia creeper that covered part of the front of the Medical Building.’
- ‘But I think the international players find Wimbledon, with the old Virginia creeper and all the very British bits that go with it, so different.’
- ‘The vegetation varies, from beach grass and Virginia creeper stabilizing the dunes to eastern red cedar and even prickly pear.’
- ‘Ornamental plants related to the grapevine include the Virginia creeper in the US and Europe, the kangaroo vine in Australia, and Japanese ivy and Crimson Glory in Japan.’
- ‘Among the thousands of species he planted on LaGuardia Place are red and white oak, cedar, elm, birch, sassafras, dogwood, sumac, Virginia creeper and goldenrod.’
- ‘In summer, masses of lavender grow against the stable block, and a vigorous growth of Virginia creeper, wisteria, honeysuckle, and jasmine cling to the walls.’
- ‘Flea beetles also feed on many nongarden plants, including Virginia creeper, pokeweed, horse nettle, pigweed and wild mustard family plants.’
- ‘When it comes to fiery fall foliage, Virginia creeper puts on a show that's unsurpassed by other deciduous vines.’
- ‘Some of the most popular berry-producing plants for bluebirds include blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, elderberry, bayberry, dogwood, juniper, Virginia creeper, sumac, pokeweed, mountain ash, and mistletoe.’
- ‘Along with sassafras and other bushes, the understory is often thick with vines and brambles, including catbrier, Virginia creeper, poison ivy, and raccoon grape.’
- ‘McGuirk has planted the back wall with Virginia creeper, which should look spectacular next autumn when it turns brilliant red.’
- ‘It is quite common to see houses covered in Virginia creeper, but its supporting structure is often completely inadequate.’
- ‘Mature Himalayan birch trees and Virginia creeper soften the austerity of the brick walls.’
- ‘Because the canopy is relatively open here, the vegetation is often overgrown with rattan vine, greenbrier, wild grape, pepper vine, trumpet creeper, Virginia creeper, and poison ivy.’
- ‘If you want autumnal fireworks, a Virginia creeper will provide them.’
- ‘The house stands partially covered with Virginia creeper, a monument to its builders.’
- ‘Along with the brash reds and oranges of Acers and Virginia creeper there is a plant which displays a charm of its own with delicate tiny bright yellow flowers which are just turning into seeds.’
- ‘The Virginia creeper covered three storied terraced houses adjacent offers a gentler façade.’
- ‘He crossed the Atlantic three times to bring back the pineapple, the yucca, and the scarlet runner bean, along with the Virginia creeper whose green leaves go flame red in autumn.’
- ‘Clematis and Virginia creeper also adorn the front of the house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.