One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A North American woodland plant of the borage family, bearing nodding, trumpet-shaped blue flowers.
Mertensia virginica, family BoraginaceaeAlso called Virginia cowslip
- ‘As the foliage of Virginia bluebells goes dormant in summer it will be covered by the hosta or fern leaves.’
- ‘You can fill in between the plants with daffodils, Virginia bluebells, or annuals.’
- ‘We noticed a delicate fragrance on the breeze and looked down a steep slope toward the stream bottom and a sea of celestial blue Virginia bluebells.’
- ‘Spring ephemerals like Virginia bluebells are designed to come up and bloom early before the shade from deciduous trees gets too heavy.’
- ‘You may even have the earliest-blooming flowers such as the Virginia bluebell bloom before the shrubs are in leaf.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.