One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The doctrine of Christ's birth from a mother, Mary, who was a virgin.
- ‘We will not go into the difference between the immaculate conception and virgin birth.’
- ‘At school, like my peers, I was indoctrinated in the mysteries of original and venal sin, virgin birth, the respective criteria for entry to limbo, purgatory, and heaven.’
- ‘Thus, the truth of Mary's perpetual virginity is, like the Virgin Birth, essential Catholic belief.’
- ‘Other than Mary, mother of Jesus, however, few women - whether ‘good’ or ‘bad’ - can boast a virgin birth.’
- ‘Matthew and Luke included accounts of Jesus' virgin birth in their Gospels because, as Thomas Cahill says, they were convinced they were true.’
- ‘The bonnethead shark and bamboo shark are from different families; the bonnethead suspected of a virgin birth gave birth to a live pup, rather than laying eggs as the bamboo shark had.’
- ‘It would be looking at why girls of 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 years of age are having abortions or having children today - and I can tell members they have not had virgin births.’
- ‘These so-called virgin births are common in invertebrates like snails, but are unusual in higher vertebrates.’
- ‘It was a virgin birth: She hadn't been near a male for six years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.