One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The doctrine of Christ's birth from a mother, Mary, who was a virgin.
- ‘We will not go into the difference between the immaculate conception and virgin birth.’
- ‘Thus, the truth of Mary's perpetual virginity is, like the Virgin Birth, essential Catholic belief.’
- ‘Other than Mary, mother of Jesus, however, few women - whether ‘good’ or ‘bad’ - can boast a virgin birth.’
- ‘At school, like my peers, I was indoctrinated in the mysteries of original and venal sin, virgin birth, the respective criteria for entry to limbo, purgatory, and heaven.’
- ‘Matthew and Luke included accounts of Jesus' virgin birth in their Gospels because, as Thomas Cahill says, they were convinced they were true.’
- ‘It would be looking at why girls of 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 years of age are having abortions or having children today - and I can tell members they have not had virgin births.’
- ‘The bonnethead shark and bamboo shark are from different families; the bonnethead suspected of a virgin birth gave birth to a live pup, rather than laying eggs as the bamboo shark had.’
- ‘It was a virgin birth: She hadn't been near a male for six years.’
- ‘These so-called virgin births are common in invertebrates like snails, but are unusual in higher vertebrates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.