Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action of violating someone or something.‘the aircraft were in violation of UN resolutions’
rape, sexual assault, indecent assault, sexual abuse, abuse, molestation, molesting, interference, interfering, seduction, seducinginvasion, interruption, breach, infractioncontravention, breach, infringement, infraction, breaking, transgression, non-observance, lack of compliance with, disobeying, disobedience, defiance, defying, flouting, flying in the face of, rebelling againstView synonyms
- ‘Two men and two women have been questioned over trademark violation and benefits fraud allegations.’
- ‘I myself am shocked, sickened and outraged by this violation of our baby's grave.’
- ‘He said a definite message had been sent out that no human rights violation would be tolerated.’
- ‘Anyone whose home has been burgled knows the feeling of violation that follows.’
- ‘I think though that the real issue is one about violation of trust and violation of safety.’
- ‘Last year we were blacklisted over copyright violation over a treaty that we signed.’
- ‘Every violation of the law is damaging to the good order and expectations of society.’
- ‘Once this is done, any violation of the norms by vendors can be met with penal measures.’
- ‘The two women were brought to the police station at night, in flagrant violation of rules.’
- ‘Except for this violation of safety and common sense, Oliver had a spotless record.’
- ‘You may not export the product in violation of applicable export laws and regulations.’
- ‘In a savagely comic scene, Vera grapples with how this violation has left her feeling.’
- ‘Put simply, the government was in violation of its own standards and knew it would cause injury to these men.’
- ‘The Court held, however, that on the facts of this case there was no violation.’
- ‘That seems to be our response to any violation of traffic rules that slows us down.’
- ‘More recent cases have evinced a less restrictive interpretation of the term flagrant violation.’
- ‘She wants to tackle the decision to dump her from the membership list as a human rights violation.’
- ‘We need a government who can control the law and order and curtail violation of human rights.’
- ‘It's clear that most of the recordings were being distributed in violation of copyright laws.’
- ‘This double standard, this sheer violation of humane principles must be stopped.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.