One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A viol, specifically a bass viol (corresponding to the modern cello)
- ‘This CD contains music that spotlights either two violas da gamba together, or viola da gamba with recorder.’
- ‘The viola da gamba which features in four paintings seems likely to be the same instrument throughout, and in any case the dimensions of different instruments do not vary greatly.’
- ‘The marvelous playing of the viola da gamba instrumentalist was particularly distinguished.’
- ‘The young prince was ten years his junior, but enjoyed playing the harpsichord and viola da gamba when politics allowed.’
- ‘The instrumental accompaniment is improvisatory, earthy and ingenious: lute, theorbo, guitar and harp continuo, plus up to a trio of violins, viola da gamba, a cornet and a gentle sprinkling of percussion.’
Italian, literally ‘viol for the leg’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.