One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A viol, specifically a bass viol (corresponding to the modern cello).
- ‘The viola da gamba which features in four paintings seems likely to be the same instrument throughout, and in any case the dimensions of different instruments do not vary greatly.’
- ‘The marvelous playing of the viola da gamba instrumentalist was particularly distinguished.’
- ‘This CD contains music that spotlights either two violas da gamba together, or viola da gamba with recorder.’
- ‘The instrumental accompaniment is improvisatory, earthy and ingenious: lute, theorbo, guitar and harp continuo, plus up to a trio of violins, viola da gamba, a cornet and a gentle sprinkling of percussion.’
- ‘The young prince was ten years his junior, but enjoyed playing the harpsichord and viola da gamba when politics allowed.’
Italian, literally ‘viol for the leg’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.