One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive (of a plant) growing as a vine with climbing or trailing woody stems.
trailing, creeping, straggling, prostrateView synonyms
- ‘Fortunately, where I am, I have been able to plant some in the ground, and wound vine-style through vining Jasminum nitidum, they disguise downspouts and are treating me to their scent now.’
- ‘Almost all vining crops will benefit from pruning - winter squash, pumpkins, melons, cucumbers and tomatoes.’
- ‘At planting time, set trellises, tepees, or wire cages in containers to provide support for vining crops - pole beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes.’
- ‘Tall vining types, which bear over a long season if you keep picking them, need support: a trellis, wire or nylon mesh, or poles.’
- ‘Not only does this create a sturdy and attractive structure for vining plants to climb up, but it also provides a cool and shady nook underneath in which children can nap, read, or hold tea parties.’
- ‘Build trellises of 1-by 1-inch wood posts - evenly spaced down the row and connected with string - for vining vegetables such as cucumbers and pole beans.’
- ‘Growing tomatoes or any vining plant this way really makes the best use of your garden space.’
- ‘It has a new border of vining tulips and daisies over stars.’
- ‘A local group of farmers lost their contract to grow vining peas, which are the sort we eat with our meals.’
- ‘Do you want bushes, trees, climbers, vining or do you want them to grow into a hedge?’
- ‘Bigroot morning glory (also called wild sweet potato) is a vining perennial that reproduces from seed and from roots.’
- ‘The vining types will need the support of a trellis or fence on which to climb.’
- ‘When planting a tall container, consider vining plants, like ornamental sweet potato or setcresia.’
- ‘Both bush and vining tomatoes should be trellised, but each kind requires a different kind of support.’
- ‘In summer, twine strung between posts supports vining crops like pole beans.’
- ‘Because of their fixed habit, they are considerably less trouble to grow than vining or indeterminate tomatoes.’
- ‘Try this with other vegetables, such as peas, cucumbers, pole beans or even vining flowers.’
- ‘Today, these graceful vining plants are so ubiquitous that many people overlook them.’
The separation of leguminous crops from their vines and pods.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.