Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cytotoxic compound of the alkaloid class obtained from the Madagascar periwinkle and used to treat Hodgkin's disease and other cancers of the lymphatic system.
- ‘The patient was then given one cycle of salvage chemotherapy consisting of vinblastine, ifosfamide, and cisplatin without any response.’
- ‘Tubulin binds also different drugs such as colchicine, vinblastine, podophyllotoxin, which inhibit tubulin assembly or depolymerize existing microtubules at micromolar concentrations.’
- ‘In this study the spindle poison vinblastine was used as a model compound to assess the influence of donor age on chemically induced chromosome malsegregation in cultured lymphocytes.’
- ‘The most frequently used drugs were cyclophosphamide, vincristine, vinblastine, cis-platinum, 5-fluorouracil, bleomycin, methotrexate and adriamycin.’
- ‘Due to the bulky nature of the disease, all the patients had received a course of chemotherapy with doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine, and they were scheduled for MRT.’
- ‘Treatment for stage IVB Hodgkin lymphoma was begun, consisting of cytoxan, oncovin, prednisone, and procarbazine alternating with adriamycin, bleomycin, and vinblastine.’
- ‘Other groups also have reported good results with mitomycin, vinblastine, and cisplatin, although the regimen produced excessive toxicity in some series.’
- ‘What do aspirin, codeine, ipecac, reserpine, scopolamine, theophylline, and vinblastine have in common?’
- ‘After surgery, the patient received 4 cycles of ABVD (doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine).’
- ‘Treatment arm 2, which consisted of cisplatin and vinblastine before irradiation, required that irradiation began on day 50.’
- ‘Some types of medications used include azathioprine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine or vinblastine.’
- ‘Past bioprospected compounds that received FDA approval include taxol, topotecan, vinblastine, vincristine, and irinocetan.’
- ‘Reports have documented postcoital allergic reactions including asthma in female subjects due to ingestion of walnut, vinblastine, thioridazine, and penicillin by the male partner before coitus.’
- ‘The patient was a 33-year-old man with a history of nodular sclerosis Hodgkin disease after 2 cycles of doxorubicin hydrochloride, bleomycin sulfate, vinblastine sulfate, and dacarbazine.’
- ‘The most notable side-effects of vincristine and vinblastine are neurotoxic and myelosuppressive; influencing motor and neuron function, along with bone marrow depression.’
- ‘For example, the drugs vinblastine and vincristine - which come from the periwinkle plant - are used to treat many different cancers.’
- ‘The sensitivity to vindesine and vinblastine in the drug-sensitive cell line increased about two-fold in the presence of GLA.’
- ‘Of the plant-derived anticancer drugs in clinical use, the best known are the alkaloids vinblastine and vincristine, isolated from the Madagascar periwinkle, Catharanthus roseus.’
- ‘A 49 year old man with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder received chemotherapy with cisplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine after resection of a tumour.’
- ‘We studied the effects of the chemicals acrylamide, colchicine, diazepam, griseofulvin, taxol, thiobendazole, trichlorfon and vinblastine on the duration of meiotic divisions in male mice.’
1960s: from modern Latin Vinca (see vinca) + (leuko)blast (a cell from which a leukocyte develops) + -ine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.