One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cytotoxic compound of the alkaloid class obtained from the Madagascar periwinkle and used to treat Hodgkin's disease and other cancers of the lymphatic system.
- ‘Other groups also have reported good results with mitomycin, vinblastine, and cisplatin, although the regimen produced excessive toxicity in some series.’
- ‘For example, the drugs vinblastine and vincristine - which come from the periwinkle plant - are used to treat many different cancers.’
- ‘The most notable side-effects of vincristine and vinblastine are neurotoxic and myelosuppressive; influencing motor and neuron function, along with bone marrow depression.’
- ‘Due to the bulky nature of the disease, all the patients had received a course of chemotherapy with doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine, and they were scheduled for MRT.’
- ‘Treatment arm 2, which consisted of cisplatin and vinblastine before irradiation, required that irradiation began on day 50.’
- ‘What do aspirin, codeine, ipecac, reserpine, scopolamine, theophylline, and vinblastine have in common?’
- ‘Some types of medications used include azathioprine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, cyclosporine or vinblastine.’
- ‘In this study the spindle poison vinblastine was used as a model compound to assess the influence of donor age on chemically induced chromosome malsegregation in cultured lymphocytes.’
- ‘A 49 year old man with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder received chemotherapy with cisplatin, methotrexate, and vinblastine after resection of a tumour.’
- ‘Reports have documented postcoital allergic reactions including asthma in female subjects due to ingestion of walnut, vinblastine, thioridazine, and penicillin by the male partner before coitus.’
- ‘Past bioprospected compounds that received FDA approval include taxol, topotecan, vinblastine, vincristine, and irinocetan.’
- ‘The sensitivity to vindesine and vinblastine in the drug-sensitive cell line increased about two-fold in the presence of GLA.’
- ‘Treatment for stage IVB Hodgkin lymphoma was begun, consisting of cytoxan, oncovin, prednisone, and procarbazine alternating with adriamycin, bleomycin, and vinblastine.’
- ‘The patient was then given one cycle of salvage chemotherapy consisting of vinblastine, ifosfamide, and cisplatin without any response.’
- ‘We studied the effects of the chemicals acrylamide, colchicine, diazepam, griseofulvin, taxol, thiobendazole, trichlorfon and vinblastine on the duration of meiotic divisions in male mice.’
- ‘The patient was a 33-year-old man with a history of nodular sclerosis Hodgkin disease after 2 cycles of doxorubicin hydrochloride, bleomycin sulfate, vinblastine sulfate, and dacarbazine.’
- ‘After surgery, the patient received 4 cycles of ABVD (doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine).’
- ‘The most frequently used drugs were cyclophosphamide, vincristine, vinblastine, cis-platinum, 5-fluorouracil, bleomycin, methotrexate and adriamycin.’
- ‘Of the plant-derived anticancer drugs in clinical use, the best known are the alkaloids vinblastine and vincristine, isolated from the Madagascar periwinkle, Catharanthus roseus.’
- ‘Tubulin binds also different drugs such as colchicine, vinblastine, podophyllotoxin, which inhibit tubulin assembly or depolymerize existing microtubules at micromolar concentrations.’
1960s: from modern Latin Vinca (see vinca) + (leuco)blast (a cell from which a leucocyte develops) + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.