One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Buddhist monastery.
- ‘It was this crescent of rock that the ancient master builders transformed into a swiss cheese of 25 viharas and five chaityas (chapels).’
- ‘According to Huen Tsang, Sirpur had an Asoka stupa and at least 100 viharas and 150 temples.’
- ‘Several vihara in Denpasar bustled with the spirit of joy and celebration.’
- ‘Today, though, it is an accepted historical fact that the main cause for the disappearance of Buddhism in the sub-continent is the destruction of the great viharas by invaders.’
- ‘Despite the shortage of qualified dhammaduta monks, scattered across the West there are a few Theravada viharas and Buddhist centres whose incumbents, in their own quiet and non-assertive way, are working to spread the Dhamma.’
- ‘Once Chandagirikaa had gone to the Kukkutaaraama vihara where he happened to hear a monk reciting the ‘Baalapandita Sutra ‘which describes the five great tortures that beings suffer in hell.’’
- ‘North of the Dhamekha stupa lie the massive ruins of the great Dharmajika stupa and the main complex of the Mulagandhakuti temple and vihara where, according to Buddhist scriptures, the Buddha often meditated.’
- ‘Scholarship came from the Buddhist monks and their viharas, stupas and monasteries.’
- ‘Nalanda is a massive complex of stupas, chaityas and viharas (monasteries).’
- ‘Hence, she was keen to assist in the work of Venerable Dr Rewata Dhamma, the Spiritual Director of the Birmingham Buddhist vihara, who has been instrumental in establishing the Dhamma Talaka (Reservoir of Truth) Peace Pagoda.’
- ‘In the United States the dominant form of Buddhism is Mahayana Buddhism, and Theravada Buddhism is confined to a few viharas.’
- ‘Several klenteng and vihara bustled with the spirit of joy and celebration.’
- ‘Moving closer, one approaches marble steps that lead up towards the North vihara and there looms the image of a standing Buddha.’
- ‘With one exception, all the rathas are modeled on two types of structure: the Buddhist vihara and chaitya.’
- ‘This ritual is also often carried out in the vihara or Buddhist temple.’
- ‘The craftsmen often belonged to one guild and were engaged in raising a temple, or a vihara, or a Jain basdi.’
- ‘Often these residences were donated to the Order by kings or wealthy patrons, and in due course they evolved into permanent institutions known as viharas or monasteries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.