One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A candle lighted and placed on a shrine as an act of devotion.
- ‘In a real cathedral or church my spirit expands if there are dim corners where worshipers can pray privately before illuminated icons and banks of vigil lights.’
- ‘On this day every family takes the candles and vigil lights they will use during the year into the church for the solemn blessing.’
- ‘Votive or vigil lights are known to be used for various purposes in both indoor and outdoor applications.’
- ‘She quickly laid and lit the vigil lights at his grave.’
- ‘As you enter the church, you may give an offering for vigil lights and either light your own or an usher will light them for you.’
- ‘He lit the vigil lights with great reverence for he loved the saints before whose images they burned.’
- ‘The burning candle or vigil light indicates a person's intention to continue in prayer were that possible.’
- ‘At the same time, the vigil light will call the people in the world to stand up for their rights.’
- ‘When the tabernacle is empty the vigil light is snuffed out.’
- ‘Above this most Holy monument to Orthodoxy hang 43 golden vigil lights which are lit day and night.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.