One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A candle lighted and placed on a shrine as an act of devotion.
- ‘Votive or vigil lights are known to be used for various purposes in both indoor and outdoor applications.’
- ‘As you enter the church, you may give an offering for vigil lights and either light your own or an usher will light them for you.’
- ‘In a real cathedral or church my spirit expands if there are dim corners where worshipers can pray privately before illuminated icons and banks of vigil lights.’
- ‘At the same time, the vigil light will call the people in the world to stand up for their rights.’
- ‘Above this most Holy monument to Orthodoxy hang 43 golden vigil lights which are lit day and night.’
- ‘He lit the vigil lights with great reverence for he loved the saints before whose images they burned.’
- ‘She quickly laid and lit the vigil lights at his grave.’
- ‘The burning candle or vigil light indicates a person's intention to continue in prayer were that possible.’
- ‘On this day every family takes the candles and vigil lights they will use during the year into the church for the solemn blessing.’
- ‘When the tabernacle is empty the vigil light is snuffed out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.