One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A window in a spacecraft or in the conning tower of an oil rig.
- ‘Looking out of the viewports located at the front of the bridge, each ship sat silently, almost smugly, several kilometres away from the Levianthannic's bow.’
- ‘Gradually the planet became larger through the viewports.’
- ‘She glanced out the viewport again, and made a double-take.’
- ‘The moon before them was now at starboard, and other large elliptical masses blocked the fore and top viewports along with numerous asteroids.’
- ‘When he turned his gaze once again outside his viewport, he started when he saw the sleek aircraft slide into position off the shuttle's left wing.’
- ‘The transport shuntor dove under the Exeter, where its belly became a white ceiling with thousands of viewports and windows, replacing the stars.’
- ‘Tree branches crashed through the forward viewport and bulkheads flew around like dangerous missiles.’
- ‘The twinkling vista of space was clearly visible through the viewports, the transparent and vastly reinforced glass preventing the escape of atmosphere into the void.’
- ‘The alien ship seemed void of any viewports or windows, and had no outward appearance of equipment or sensors of its own.’
- ‘He looked up at the viewport to see another flight of Tigersharks orient themselves for another strafing run.’
- 1.1Computing A framed area on a display screen for viewing information.
- ‘This code automatically loads the menu and a set of new dimensioning tools that works in scaled and locked viewport displays.’
- ‘A quick command displays the scale factor for the selected viewport.’
- ‘The viewports display tiled, and AutoCAD asks you to select horizontal or vertical and where you want the odd-numbered viewport to be displayed.’
- ‘Then the line boxes inside the paragraph can be displayed below that point, spanning 70% of the viewport.’
- ‘Double-clicking on a viewport now fills the screen with the viewport for editing purposes.’
- ‘The Opera browser handled everything I could throw at it in normal mode, where you pan around the page with the screen as a viewport.’
- ‘Now, go get your model, if you don't already have a paper space viewport displayed on your screen.’
- ‘All around, viewports and computer screens spider-webbed and exploded outwards, showering glass everywhere.’
- ‘Once the user releases the mouse, the box will be deleted from the screen and the viewport will change.’
- ‘You may already have a paper space viewport on your screen with some of your geometry from model space shining through.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.