One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to Vietnam, its people, or their language.
- ‘He liked Asian people, Vietnamese people in particular, and their culture, considerably more than he liked Australian culture.’
- ‘Larger donations can be channeled to specific Vietnamese groups.’
- ‘The opening scene begins with Ho Xuan Huong in Vietnamese peasant clothing, at the funeral of Commissioner Coc.’
- ‘I, for one, have no idea whether this is appropriate in Vietnamese culture or not, nor what a bishop can and cannot permit in his own diocese.’
- ‘We were representing a Saturday morning Vietnamese language school.’
- ‘She also famously described US ambitions as ‘imperialist’ and advised Richard Nixon to read up on Vietnamese history.’
- ‘My recipe for today is for Vietnamese lemon chicken.’
- ‘Their village had been overrun by Vietnamese troops in 1979.’
1A native or inhabitant of Vietnam, or a person of Vietnamese descent.
- ‘He honestly thought that Americans tried to improve the lot of the Vietnamese.’
- ‘From the 1400s on, the Cambodians lost territory to both the Siamese and the Vietnamese.’
- ‘Thais and Vietnamese also came in large numbers and this is really where Asian Fusion cooking was born.’
- ‘The streets to the American Embassy were so crowded with GIs and Vietnamese alike, all wanted to leave the gem of the orient.’
- ‘Western love songs, especially slow, sad songs recorded by Asian artists, are also much loved by the Vietnamese.’
- ‘They share their classrooms with Arabs, Africans and Vietnamese.’
- ‘I think it's no accident that the best cooks on Earth are the Basque and the Vietnamese.’
2The language of Vietnam, which is probably a Mon-Khmer language although much of its vocabulary is derived from Chinese.
- ‘This person may have married an Irish person but probably still thinks in and speaks Vietnamese.’
- ‘Lady Borton, who speaks Vietnamese, finds the atmosphere far more hospitable now than in the early years of independence.’
- ‘In addition, Cambodians have borrowed words from Thai, French, Chinese, and Vietnamese.’
- ‘He speaks five languages, Vietnamese, French, Greek, Spanish and some other obscure language.’
- ‘For general sessions I speak in Vietnamese, except when interacting on an individual basis, when I use English.’
- ‘The books have been re-published many times, in a number of different Asian languages including Japanese and Vietnamese.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.