Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system in which viewers choose their own filmed entertainment, by means of a PC or interactive TV system, from a wide selection.
- ‘The advent of trackable media, like video on demand, has entered television's mix and gives a free-spending ad exec fits.’
- ‘Turn your TV from a workout destructor into a fitness buddy with video on demand - a technology that allows you to instantly order the program you want with the click of your remote control.’
- ‘It also plans to provide IP multicast exchange services, allowing member ISPs to transmit video on demand.’
- ‘Indeed, most of the growth for cable companies is expected to come from video on demand and other interactive services such as downloading music and buying theater tickets.’
- ‘With the advent of broadband telephony, video on demand and a whole range of other services consumers are likely to be tempted more and more to shop around.’
- ‘These vendors want to provide a variety of functions, including digital television, video on demand, program guides, program recording, web access, e-mail, shopping and games.’
- ‘The project is designed to provide much faster data transmission than regular high-speed Internet connections, enabling higher quality broadcasting, video on demand and phone calls.’
- ‘We've talked about digital video recorders [aka TiVo] and video on demand [via cable] and signs that more control will be shifting to consumers.’
- ‘These forms - the already available video, DVD, cable and the soon-to-be available satellite, broadband, and video on demand - transform the availability of films.’
- ‘Wireless broadband would become the conduit for video on demand and entertainment services, he predicted.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.