One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bond issued by a government during or immediately after a major war.
- ‘This is an example of a victory bonds poster, which would have been displayed throughout the United States during World War II to encourage citizens to buy victory bonds.’
- ‘Buy the New Victory Bonds: This World War II propaganda poster promoting ‘the new victory bonds,’ depicts a mother and child being threatened by the hands of Nazi Germany and the Empire of Japan.’
- ‘It was a train that went around the world and did shows to sell victory bonds.’
- ‘For a city or district to receive the flag, its citizens had to have purchased a specified value in victory bonds.’
- ‘With the help of some corrupt accountants, he swindled gullible suckers among the public with so-called ‘victory bonds’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.