One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The study of the victims of crime and the psychological effects on them of their experience.‘specialists in victimology will gather to consider how best to help the victims of crime recover’
- ‘Dr Burgess was recognized for her work in the field of victimology.’
- ‘Much of the seminal work in major areas of forensic psychology, including risk assessment, psychopathy, eyewitness testimony, victimology, credibility assessment, and criminal behaviour, has been done here.’
- ‘Areas of expertise include violence and victimology.’
- ‘I have been begging anyone who would listen over the past two years for a program in mass victimology to prepare for the next tragedy after 9 / 11.’
- ‘Ultimately, though, Notre Musique is a study of victimology.’
- ‘I would love to but I have my victimology class in the morning.’
- ‘A new tale is being spun in the the never-ending saga of female victimology.’
- ‘The author's clinical experience and studies with a concentration in victimology place her squarely on the side of these victims of aggression.’
- 1.1 The possession of an outlook, arising from real or imagined victimization, that seems to glorify and indulge the state of being a victim.
- ‘Our main concern must be with new generations, who can fulfill their potential only in an America where victimology, separatism, and anti-intellectualism don't flourish among black Americans.’
- ‘So he positions himself as a victim, yet he is part of the crowd of people who speak out against victimology when third-world or poor people talk about being victimized.’
- ‘But coming from a woman who married her wealth, this kind of victimology is a little, er, rich.’
- ‘Kudos to federal judges Pollack and Baer for not bending to the victimology and sentimentalism of the times.’
- ‘You might say that the true act of decommissioning required of republicans in return was not of bullets, bats and rackets, but of victimology, the standing down of the sense of grievance that had been their driving force.’
- ‘To summarize: these different versions of victimology set the question of researching victims of crime in quite different ways.’
- ‘In Tom's victimology we see a type of an ever-present feminist fantasy: to be good, a man really needs to be more like a woman.’
- ‘More and more, African-American iconoclasts reject victimology and embrace American possibility.’
- ‘But it is the grievance of a people who turn their own misdeeds into their own victimology, thus making rational discourse all but impossible.’
- ‘And I discovered its secret resource: a treasure trove of courageous black men who utterly reject victimology and stand up for personal responsibility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.