One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shrub or small tree of temperate and warm regions, typically bearing flat or rounded clusters of small white flowers.
Genus Viburnum, family Caprifoliaceae: many species and ornamental hybrids, including the guelder rose and wayfaring tree
- ‘For early blooming shrubs such as forsythia and viburnum, prune them as soon as blooms have passed.’
- ‘Imagine the envious looks on neighbors faces as the first burst of bulbs, primrose, and pulmonaria gives way to a riot of color as your azaleas and rhodies harmonize with kerria and viburnums.’
- ‘Spring-flowering shrubs include such popular plants as forsythia, deutzia, lilac, viburnum, mock-orange and spirea.’
- ‘This viburnum produces clusters of white flowers in late winter to early spring.’
- ‘The backyard is full of viburnums, witch hazels, hydrangeas of all kinds, fothergillas, and other interesting shrubs.’
- ‘Plants such as viburnum, dogwood, maple or linden may need more water than species like honeylocust, oak or hackberry, which are better suited to Nebraska's dry, continental climate.’
- ‘Branches of viburnum, holly, and barberry offer architectural grace notes and still other means for signaling the season.’
- ‘Carruth meets the trees which are mindless but present as birch, aspen, dogwood, elm, spruce, balsam, viburnum, locust, beech, rockmaple, tamarack, and alder.’
- ‘Echo the fullness of the fruit in arrangements with berries and blooms, such as pale green nicotiana, chocolate cosmos, Oriental poppies, and viburnum.’
- ‘My viburnum shrubs, which were historically used to counteract negative magicks, are just about ready to burst into fragrant blooms; I'll bet by next week they will be blooming.’
- ‘Crab apples and viburnums are also good for wildlife, and pyracanthus (fire thorn), burning bush, and barberry provide winter food after their bitter berries have been softened by frosts.’
- ‘Since then it has been found mainly in rhododendrons and viburnums, pieris, camellias, lilacs and other plants which have been imported or sat alongside imports.’
- ‘On viburnums, pieris and camellia, symptoms are very similar, the disease causing wilting and ultimately death.’
- ‘At the rear of the property, a pond is formed by raised beds filled with white azaleas, a katsura tree, rhododendrons, a tree fern, a tall viburnum, and other shade-loving plants.’
- ‘Consider also the deciduous viburnums - these make good summer background shrubs, and the fall display can be lavish with sweeping shades of red to purple and ripened fruits.’
- ‘Generally, pruning should be done on shrubs which flower before mid-summer as soon as flowering is over, including winter-flowering viburnums and mahonias, Ribes sanguineum, weigela and Spiraea ‘Arguta’.’
- ‘Witch hazel and viburnum both make good, low maintenance specimen shrubs.’
- ‘Evergreen viburnum growing in the shade will certainly get moldy and full of mildew.’
- ‘An informal hedge of arrowhead viburnums lines the house side of the walk.’
- ‘Laboratory tests indicate that eastern red and pin oaks, some blueberry varieties, and perhaps certain rhododendrons, viburnums, and other landscape plants are highly susceptible to sudden oak death.’
Modern Latin, from Latin, ‘wayfaring tree’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.