One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small container, typically cylindrical and made of glass, used especially for holding liquid medicines.
- ‘Vials were examined daily for the presence of eggs and those vials containing eggs were separated.’
- ‘Ritter picked up a box off the counter containing three small vials of different colored liquids.’
- ‘It is important to use good aseptic technique when accessing multiple-dose vials.’
- ‘He spent a few years in England in industry making, of all things, vials for medicines.’
- ‘She reached down and poured the remaining water in her pot into a glass vial.’
- ‘One of the envelopes contained hair and a vial filled with a red substance that may have been blood.’
- ‘Leaf tissue was placed in vials containing silica gel and stored at room temperature.’
- ‘Both were kept in clear glass vials, which were identical in size and shape.’
- ‘For dry storage, spores were placed in hermetic glass vials.’
- ‘He also knew that the vials of both medications were exactly the same except for the name printed on the label.’
- ‘The evidence was a small bucket, containing used vials, syringes and needles.’
- ‘The number of vials used effectively in anesthesia was estimated based on a market survey.’
- ‘Mortality in vials containing sucrose solution without ethanol was negligible.’
- ‘The cells from the spatula or brush are put onto a glass slide, or into a vial, and sent to a laboratory.’
- ‘He had filled a flat box with sample vials containing a weighed amount of fine filings for analysis.’
- ‘Scully walks up to the table and places upon it a glass vial containing a honeybee that almost cost the agent her life.’
- ‘Two-day-old larvae were placed into vials containing medium rehydrated with the adaptive dose of the compounds to be tested.’
- ‘Dried pollen and spores were then stored in glass vials at room temperature until required.’
- ‘The walnut box has a window through which we see three glass vials on a shelf lit from behind.’
- ‘She states that a needle filter should be used when drawing up medications from a grass vial.’
Middle English: alteration of phial.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.