1A Roman military standard or banner, especially one of a maniple.
banner, standard, ensign, pennant, pennon, banderole, streamer, jackView synonyms
- ‘Many examples of the vexillum are represented in illuminated manuscripts.’
- ‘In Roman artwork, any vexillum which isn't just blank (due to loss of painted detail) has only lettering on it.’
- ‘In 1855 (during the reign of King Rama IV; Mongkut) the white chakra was dropped and thus the vexillum was a red field with a white elephant in the centre.’
- ‘Only one example of vexilla has ever been found - the 3rd century example from Egypt.’
- 1.1A body of troops serving under one standard.
The standard of a papilionaceous flower.
- ‘During anthesis, the standard petal (vexillum) curves backward after the expansion of the wing petals.’
The vane of a feather.