Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of flags.
- ‘It is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of vexillology, the scientific and scholarly study of flag history and symbolism. pop’
- ‘See how you fare with this quiz on vexillology (the study of flags and flag-related matters).’
- ‘I learned most of what I know about vexillology from Whitney, who is a good personal friend and mentor.’
- ‘For those interested in vexillology, there is an interesting website dealing with this topic for the former South Vietnam here’
- ‘It is the Internet's largest site devoted to vexillology (the study of flags).’
- ‘Jack also enjoys vexillology and can signal Bible passages from memory in fluent semaphore.’
1950s: from Latin vexillum flag + -logy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.