Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The study of flags.
- ‘It is the Internet's largest site devoted to vexillology (the study of flags).’
- ‘See how you fare with this quiz on vexillology (the study of flags and flag-related matters).’
- ‘For those interested in vexillology, there is an interesting website dealing with this topic for the former South Vietnam here’
- ‘It is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of vexillology, the scientific and scholarly study of flag history and symbolism. pop’
- ‘Jack also enjoys vexillology and can signal Bible passages from memory in fluent semaphore.’
- ‘I learned most of what I know about vexillology from Whitney, who is a good personal friend and mentor.’
1950s: from Latin vexillum flag + -logy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.